Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Song of themselves...

My Mr. William

'Get outside it's so lovely and the air is so beautiful!' - That was me the other day telling the boys and their friends they had to shut down everything that was plugged in and then go outside for at least an hour to avoid getting rickets.

Aw mom we are in the middle of a game!  But they did as they were told.  30 minutes later they came back to the townhouse WITH PURPOSE! 

They grabbed backpacks, food, supplies from the 'prepper closet'.  'What are you boys doing?'  I asked.

'We found a really cool place by some water!  It's totally secluded - we are gonna make our own campsite!!'

Boy they took that ball and ran with it! - but I thought Hey my friends and I spent countless hours outside when we were their age.  We would explore, lunch on a rock somewhere and just be in nature - of course we didn't know that at the time, we just thought we were out from under our parents rules...  

So I let this go and that night when they came back in (we are talking HOURS later) they were chattering with plans and survival techniques, places in the world they wanted to see, probably together.  And there it was...being unplugged took center stage.  They were unplugged from the chains of TV and Video games and plugged into the energy of themselves and the earth.

Sitting: My Michael aka MikaDude and friends

A day or so later, my youngest son cryptically uttered words that made my heart sing 'Mom-ya wanna see our site?'    WOW not only allowed to KNOW about it, I was actually invited to SEE it!  Good relationship with your kids in my book? CHECK!!!

So through the back woods we went, trails, turns, slopes and all.  I scanned for signs of danger-it was all peaceful.  We came into a spot that could only be described as majestic and shrouded.  The trees parted and in the center was a perfect clearing, flat with fallen Cedar surrounding it.  The recent storms had taken their toll on the forest, but at the same time had created a wonderland for the teenage adventurer - huge upended trees created benches and blockades.  One look east revealed an enormous gray swamp giving way to a lake with hundreds of geese taking refuge, their calls like background music.  

Snow began to softly fall and created a coated dreamy sway among the evergreens.  It was perfect.  And my son looked at me bursting with pride - Mom, This is OUR place.  I turned my head so he couldn't see the well up of small tears in my eyes.  They are becoming themselves and I was allowed a peek into that amazing dance between boy and man.  I thanked God and all that was holy for this privilege.  Everyday with those boys is a privilege.  And this spot, THEIR place was more sacred to them than the greatest of cathedrals.

A Friend

They had set up a tent (their clubhouse) and made a fire in a perfect pit.  They were cooking Ramen Noodles with bottled water via mess kit.  Each one seemed to have a duty, a place they naturally excelled, and they were working as a team.  It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever set my eyes on and it burned into my heart to never be forgotten.  



They were finally unplugged, and totally plugged into their place in the realm of everything. 

Folks being a mom doesn't get much better than this!  I am a blessed and grateful woman!

Namaste