Saturday, August 25, 2012

Old Coach Dirt!


Dad's Garden @ Old Coach 

One of the hardest things about residing in a townhouse is that I don't have my own dirt.  One of the best things about living close to a Dad like mine is that he shares!  This is the little patch of earth that held wild strawberries when we made the move from Brooklyn.  This little patch was also the place where my mother, now gone, piled up dirt and grew the most amazing tomatoes.  Beefsteak - when sliced cover an entire piece of bread!

I must say this not a mindset for the faint of heart.  As we drive around, we are seeing huge expanses of lawns...We now cannot look at them without thinking how much food we could grow!  Think about it for a second- a nice one acre patch of...grass...that you mow...that's it.  OR a one acre patch of rambling FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD!  Food for your family, your friends, shelters, to barter, to gift!  Kinda makes the grass not so sexy now doesn't it?

A couple of years ago I had to rent my townhouse out to strangers and move into the house on Old Coach Road.  Wanting to have a garden, I took my old beat jeep and went to Home Depot.  I grabbed a bunch of  8x12s, cut them up old school and just nailed them together.  Adam Hayn, from Adam Hayn Construction came and completed my vision of the beds and prettied it up with wood chips and a truckload of excellent dirt. (If this sounds like a shameless promotion that's because IT IS)  Adam does the most beautiful work!  He went to school for landscape design, and I must admit I was embarrassed asking him to complete a project so small...but he worked with me enthusiastically!  He understood my vision and the rest is veggie history!!!  When I get dirt of my own Adam is the dude that will be called in for consultation and execution of my insanity plan...MUUHAHAHA!

So this garden was resurrected a few years ago and a tomato blight of the worst kind hit it last year :(  This year my father and his friend Carol decided to start seeds.  My dad mistakenly ripped out all the English Thyme (haha again!) but worked the dirt.  I brought a few tomato plants over and tons of bean seeds.  It became a small community...er...clan garden!


In addition to food, Carol added some pretties too!

We have tomatoes, lettuces, beans of a few kinds, eggplants, peppers, cukes, squash, swiss chard, and Rosemary (nod to mom).  Yesterday I stopped by and must have pulled 2lbs of green beans out of there.  I call beans the giving plant - they are so prolific in that patch and on my dinner table that it is truly amazing and humbling.  

My brother his wife and I were talking prepper style and we all agreed that a garden is very nice but to have food lasting well into the winter you would certainly need a bigger plot and better planning.  We are all learning and it makes for great conversation over icy cold beer in the heat of summer!  So planning for next year is underway.  What joy in that planning!  I finally understand how seed sites and catalogs can sustain one thru the great white months.   So with that in mind, The boys and I have plans....


The split fence marks the beginning of the garden.  There is a big patch of grass in front of it...you see where this is going don't you?  Next year we will enlist the help of the Vegans on the Mountain (John and Renee), The boys, and some canning supplies.  Life is perfect with things to look forward to isn't it?  And my father is the best sharer ever.  Thank you again Dad for making us all feel like we are never far from home...

Next year's hopes are more tomatoes, to never buy lettuce in summer, more beans, more cukes, more eggplant, potatoes (YES!), a rainwater catch cistern, bees (yeah we need a discussion on this, maybe some whiskey),  and of course our ill fated thyme...

What will be in your dirt?

Nature is generous to the point of extravagance! 

Good energy to you and your 'Dirt Planning'!