Saturday, August 1, 2015

Unplugged


This summer has been an odd one for sure.  And a tight one $ wise.  So when my brother and his family graciously invited me to go camping for a couple of days in NY State, for a ridiculously cheap price, my answer was an immediate yes.  Then they told me about it...

NY State.  Barely any cell service.  Next to a Brook with icy cold rushing water.  Tucked into the mountains. Huge story-book like trees.  Campfires.  Nothing to do but hike, contemplate, and read...

Sounded perfect.

I've been on a bit of unsteady footing in many ways since graduating in May.  There are alot of things up in the air right now for me.  So the chance to escape to the forest with some of my favorite people seemed a no-brainer.  No boats.  No lights.  No motor cars; not a single luxury.,,It sounded pretty luxurious to me.  $20 in my Toyota gas tank and I took off.  I drove Route 17 and half way there the highway seems to lift from the ground.  Massive dense forest flanks you and closes off the world of worry you leave behind as you lap up the miles.  I couldn't help but smile.  I drove a steady pace and had a murder mystery on audio in the car.  Solo adventures are necessary people - never underestimate their healing qualities. 

In retrospect I wish I had taken some pics of the highway and the surrounding green - it was astonishing.  Everything up there is 'bigger' than where I live.  A historian friend told me that the forest around the sleepy hamlet of Hamburg (where I live) is actually quite young in comparison to many places that surround us.  The hills were treeless as settlers cleared them for homesteads and farms (yes, even the sides of the mountains).  I heard his words as I drove deeper into NY state.  The forests on my trip were much much older than the ones at home, stronger, seemingly filled with far more mystery, wisdom, and essence.  And there they stood welcoming me in.

I pulled off the road into a town of Nowhere.  Maybe once upon a time it had been a Somewhere, but no one cared to remember anymore.  The buildings that dotted town had long gone unimproved.  I always have the same reaction when arriving "What a gorgeous place to exist."  But that's just it - they are existing.  Very little industry and a few big box stores in outlying areas.  A perfect place for a writer....


I found the campground and my relatives and parked the car.  The GPS and cell seemed to cut out around the entrance off the highway.  It was ok.  It had gotten me exactly where I needed to be.  I let go of  the technology and took it from there.  When I opened my car door I was greeted and told to set up the tent as it was already midday.  What caught me first was the sound of water.  A giant artery of the most miraculously clean looking water rumbled over itself past the camp site.  My campsite.  I took a moment and stared.  I could feel it's damp and hear it's voice.  My body responded with a shift of freedom...  



I understand why people love river rock fireplaces.  They still hold energy.
One day I would love to have one from hand picked smooth rocks.


The river bent in spots as I walked along it and a bridge led to an old pump wheel structure.  
Long left to rust next to this water way.  


There were plugs and water spigots at each site.  I sat by the fire a long while with my brother and his wife talking.  It was hard to slow down but pretty soon were were all yawning and left the embers to themselves. I will admit the first night I had a hard time bedding down.  It was as if my body still craved the distraction that only our modern world can bring. 80's slasher films, and bear attacks made their way to the edge of my mind, then left.  The river finally took my thoughts and I felt 'safe' enough to close my eyes and sleep.  The next thing I knew there was an explosion of bird song and it was morning.  I was S>T>A>R>V>I>N>G>.  I don't know what it is about being outside, taking care of basic needs, and sleeping in the woods that causes the unbelievable hunger, but, well, there you have it - it happens every time.  I also am amazed that I sleep through the night when I camp.  No waking up worrying about bills, no getting up at 2AM to go to the bathroom.  None of it.  Just Sleep.


For someone that doesn't camp all that much, I was comically prepared having to simply heat up pre-cooked food on a cast iron skillet.  My homebrewed iced tea was in tow as well.  


Midway through the trip, we decided to explore the entrance to the camp which included a camp store (ice doesn't last forever), and to take advantage to check in with home via the only cell service we could get - standing almost still by the community pool.  Yes, it wasn't all roughing-it!  There was an old pool on premise that was well kept, a simple laundry facility for the seasonal people, a clubhouse with ping pong, an old jukebox, and a smattering of dated video games.  Nothing fancy, but enough to remind you that you were, in fact, on a vacation.  

Stay open to these things folks and to last minute invites that set you back $70 or more.  They are the best!  I've come to realize there's a wanderlust in me that I have accepted.  I can be ready to go anywhere in an hour or so.  And for a broke girl I'm usually Toyota-jetting off somewhere at least every other month.  It's a charmed life I think.  I don't make alot, but I don't really need alot.  Good friends, Good family, Good books and I'm home anywhere.

Namaste