Sunday, September 9, 2012

Storms on Mountain Road




Yesterday afternoon was a storm of all storms!  I don’t know what possessed me but 5 minutes before it all came down I grabbed my camera and headed for my Mountain Road.  It is my favorite of local raw places.  It’s stormy and sweet, secretive yet giving, and always, always, evolving…It’s a strange kinship I feel with this stretch of town…



Around the bend where the snow melt dives into the earth and reappears on the other side of the road, there is the horse farm.  It was getting that dark cleansing gray out and the sky was swollen.  I remember a very hard time in my life when a storm came upon me out of nowhere.  I stood there and let it wash over me, chill me, cleanse me.  I cried and cried in that rain and no one was there but me and the sky.  No one could see the tears but they fell into the earth with the raindrops…replanted to become something strong and beautiful…reclaimed by the dirt…disappearing...shed sadness.  I gave it to the ground.

I came upon the horse farm and it was as dark as dinnertime in late October.  The sky swirled and leaves dislodged from weak ties to swirl with it.  There was so much energy and movement.  Then I spotted the horses.

Usually they are scattered about…dotted in the meadow.  As the wind kicked from the northwest side of town they formed a group, a close group.  They stood together almost in a formation of sorts.  They turned their rumps to the wind and stretched their necks to the hills.  And they were still.  Very still.  I believe I spotted a bracing for the storm and a weathering of it as well.  I’m no horse woman by any means – but I recognize majesty and fiber of being when I see it.


The drench was wild and fast with a reckless beauty all its own.  And I thought how like them we humans should be.  How much from them can we learn?  They didn’t speak.  They didn’t gesture.  They didn’t think.  They simply were, and had done what their kind has done for their known time.  Perhaps instead of engaging in an argument saying things that take on a life of their own, we can brace ourselves, depend on our herd; our friends, our families. We can weather the storms life whips up with sometimes such short notice.  Perhaps sometimes it is better to get out of our own heads, not overthink things and just let them be…just wait it out…with our backs to the cutting winds and our necks stretched to the sun that will surely rise, as it always does, over the hills.  As if the Storms never were.


Good Energy to you and your herd