Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Barter. Trade. Swap.


Barter. Trade. Swap.

These are words that I knew from vocabulary as a child.  I knew the definition, but never understood or witnessed the concept in action until almost a year ago.

This lingo began to become common place as I wandered into the world of farm, livestock, and community living.  Each word in this realm loosely means ‘Goods or services of equal value – for other goods or services.’    A lamb (feed your family) in exchange for your help erecting a structure for livestock.  A cache of wood for heating your home (so you will not freeze this winter) if you help me chop wood for a day.  I will mend your torn clothes for 2 apple pies.  I will give you laying hens (which will feed you) for readying my field for spring. 

Barter. Trade. Swap. – These words ran rampant in the formation of our country.  In the wilderness.  Where money was nice but you sure couldn’t eat it. Through financial depressions where people would give labor in exchange for a meal. And, although nice, with the value we give them in our minds;  would silver coins heat your home in the winter – with nowhere to buy fuel? Somewhere along the way we began to value the dollar so greatly that skill sets suffered.  If everything went wrong tomorrow – what skill set do you have to fall back on?

These are strange times we are moving through.  If you don’t have a skill set, or a barter stock, I suggest you think of one.  I am.  I pay highly for a cerebral education for my 2 sons, but I have sat them down and made them consider that in addition to the book smarts they will be wise to have a tangible knowledge or skill set – It’s like $ or goods in the bank.  Fix diesel engines, welder, plumber, forest keep and knowledge, the ability for food, a medical skill set and the list goes on and on.

We as humans need to know the work of our hands coupled with our minds.  Believe me it takes the edge off of the anxiety of where we find ourselves in evolution today.  Think: what are you good at? What can you learn or already know?  Can you take a garden or an animal and turn it into a filling meal?  Do you know what raw materials you would need to make shelter?  If someone was sick and there wasn't doctor to call…do you know what to do?

Our current economic system appears less than desirable for sure.  Perhaps it is time for an ‘underground movement’ to occur.  Perhaps we the people could work on our own system on the side?  We’ve trusted this current one for so long.  Maybe it’s time for a backup?  Go out of your comfort zone.  Start with not buying gifts – start with giving the gift of a home cooked meal, a scarf you knitted, food you canned, firewood you split.  Then throw it out there….I need help fixing a roof – help me and I’ll help you with that retaining wall.  I need you to watch the kids…and I’ll watch yours; Barter. Trade. Swap.

It’s my version of homesteading with a bit of prepper thrown in.  Barter. Trade. Swap.  Hey you never know – Think about it!  Write down what you could do, what you could offer, what you may have of value...both around you and within you…

Good energy to you and the skills you may have overlooked!