Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Stokes State Forest...Night One



Yesterday after work I stopped at my father’s house.  No one happened to be there and I had a folder of old writings that I wanted to go through.  I decided to stay a bit and made a little fire in the old Cast Iron ‘fire-pit’ my brother John and I had found abandoned in the woods when we were barely teenagers.

I found something I had written from my very first ‘camping’ trip with the boys a while after I became single again.  I was talking to my Woodland Spirit friend Michelle one day at work and she told me of a long standing love affair she had with Stokes State Forest.  There were cabins you could rent…I listened….that October I rented a cabin on the lake.  After all went to bed the first night I opened my notebook and this is what I had written…

…So my insomnia kicked in around 11pm.  I was hoping to sleep – Ha!  When do I ever sleep anymore?  I also made the mistake of trying pepperoni pizza in an unfamiliar place.  Oh the grease – I can hear my gallbladder crying!  You were supposed to ‘Keep it Simple Stupid’ on this trip!

Before the boys and I embarked, I bought some ‘things’ for this trip.  Being a single mom, I wanted the boys to have a safe but total guy experience – hence this foray into the economical world of Survival Man!  3 days+2nights=$90 in October for an Autumnal Adventure they will remember!



Taking a cue from Michelle, I hoped to invest in a bit of gear each year.  We took stock and had a kind of crappy sleeping bag so we headed to the store and got 2 decent 20degree sleeping bags for the boys, A Hatchet, Rain Ponchos & some organic nibbles. 

So there we are in the store and my oldest looks at me...  ‘What’s the tote for mom?”  (Not the Gray $4 tote you buy for bulky sweaters.  I was holding the next size up, the $8 one.)  It was maybe 3.5ft by 1.5?  I looked at the floor and avoided his question.  “What’s it for mom?” O the unrelenting tenacity of children! “It’s for the gear’ I replied.  “yea yea ma we don’t have THAT much gear!’

“Well the cabin doesn’t have a tub.”…They are so accepting of my insanity.

We pulled up to the cabin with the crunch of drive stone.  It sat quiet. It was, in my estimation, the best spot with a huge Autumn Lake in all its glory stretched out behind it.  The trees and brush that surrounded it seemed to hug it.  I hoped it would be hugging us as well.  I pushed away thoughts of 70’s slasher horror flicks and hoped for the best.

They used the Hatchet immediately (I prayed for a trip without stitches) for kindling and soon we had a fire among a circle of stone.  They loved the Marshmallows.  I thought they were pretty much YUCK.  I never did like them.  

So @ 1AM when insomnia again came to call, I positioned the blue tote-tub in the open corner of a small powder room which sat at the end of the structure.  I filled the tub with tap water boiled in pasta pots on the small stove.  I imagined the water was springing up through the ground right from the huge lake that lay outside the window of the cabin.  I got into a routine with the water; fill, heat, empty.  




When the tote was ½ filled I took a pot of cold water and poured it in to temper the boil.  I cut and squeezed a lemon over the steaming water and sprinkled in sea salt.  I had a lantern with two settings…I used low.  I found a few wayward votive candles and lit them.  I stacked fluffy towels…and proceeded to have one of the best baths ever!  It was citrusy and steamy and the tote had some give so it relaxed with me.  I’m not even 5’ tall, so I was able to recline comfortably and rest my head on a folded towel.  I had a bottle of cold water to drink with a slice of cucumber.



I was in some sort of Rustic Nirvana that Thoreau, in his wildest imagination, could’ve only dreamed of!  The boys were snoring in a rhythmic cadence and I sat in that ‘tub’ for well over an hour.  I let thoughts dance in and out of my mind…I would watch them…and let them go.  With the small bathroom door opened I had a 15’ straight path to the gray lake stone fireplace and the blazing orangey ember fire in the little stove.  Never had I worked so hard for a bath.  Never had I enjoyed one quite the same since.  I learned something very important – luxury is something that you carry inside you and with you and can be had for $8 and a bit of imagination!

 No Jacuzzi in any resort I had ever traveled in my former wealthy life could’ve compared with that lemony sea salted soak…staring at a fire I made.

It’s almost 3 now and many call this the witching hour.  Time ticks on.  And it does prove true that it is darkest before the dawn.  I feel a strange contented loneliness. I remember feeling like this a few times before, somewhat nocturnally vigilant…almost having to stay up waiting for the first light’s safety in order to rest…I step out of the bath and towel off.  I’m so warm there isn’t even a chill to me.  I put one more good sized log on the fire and that should carry us til we all wake up – ready for breakfast.  Pretty good for a first night…


Good Energy to you and an earned bath!