Saturday, March 1, 2014

Franklins Beauty


I had driven this road for at least 10 years when my children attended Immaculate Conception School in Franklin.  Today I went food shopping and took a shortcut back.  It took me past the Franklin Pond/spillway-waterfall where the Wallkill River winds through.  Franklin has always held a place in my heart since I had taken dance lessons there many moons ago as a young girl.  It was an old building called the Neighborhood House which serviced the town.  It had these amazing wood floors and big cavern-like ballroom rooms.  The Catholic School children would be letting out of school and walking home when I went to dance class.  I remember wishing I was one of them in a crispy uniform, with my education important.

Years later there wasn't a question as to where I was going to send my children to school.  I enrolled them in preschool and they stayed until 8th grade (my youngest until 7th when they moved his last year to the Catholic Highschool in Sparta).  I caught a bit of flack for paying for their education, I still say Pre-K-8th was the best money I ever spent on them.  They chose later to go to public High School, and I couldn't be happier for them in their decision.  

When I sold real estate when my kids were small, Franklin was my favorite town.  It held the charm of yesteryear in its worn hands. Town Water, town sewer, buildings and a town layout that made sense.  I must have driven this road a million times, but today in the late morning light,  I saw the Wallkill River with fresh eyes and stopped to grab a pic.  I love being surprised like that...gently...completely.  Ah Franklin, may I never tire of your charms...