Wednesday, April 23, 2014

C-Harmony

Another fun assignment for Creative writing class - this was on plausible dialogue...you decide

“Must have a pension!” Meg exclaims

“Must have a pension?” I question warily.  “Meg I can’t write that, it’s an C-Harmony ad, it’s supposed to be romantic.”

“Romantic my ass Annie, this is an interview for a man and a life– best to be up front about what you want.  Just write it.”  She spoons out her blueberry yogurt, another weird diet she’s on.  She’s eating only blueberries.  It’s been a week and I contemplate asking her if she’s shitting blue yet.

“It’s not romantic.  I want a romantic guy like, ya know, picnics by a river, poetry…romance!”

Romantic Guy??”  She annunciates this like I’m a moron.   “Listen, a picnic next to a river dancing around with a feather up your ass is nice but it’s not real life Annie. Pensions, a house, stock options, that kind of shit is secure! That kind of shit is real!”

I sigh.  I don’t want to write my ad here in the depressing break-room with Prozac music and squeaking air vents.  My sandwich sucks, I put too much jelly on it and it leaked all over the bag.  I open my mouth to tell her to forget it but she continues…

“You best nail this shit down now Annie, face it, you’re not getting any younger.”  She nods her head with that ‘be all, know all’ expression she gets when she’s warning me about my future. 
She’s always warning me about my future. 

“You know what else isn’t romantic?  You in twenty years still working here under this suck bag lighting,” she gestures toward bulbs overhead. “You in twenty years with no pension” she stabs her yogurt, “no security,” stab, “because the goddam baby-boomers got it all!” Stab. “They got it all Annie!” Big stab.  “Twenty years after that and your dropping dead at the register, still a cashier.” She widens her brown eyes dramatically for effect. “You don’t even wanna know what you will look like under this lighting by then Annie; it’s scary, Walking Dead scary!”  Her teeth look blue.

Norman, the shift supervisor walks in.  A thirty-something jerk-off with greasy hair and skin and chronic visible dry snot that moves like little trap doors when he breaths.  I know one day snot is going to dislodge and one of us will get it.  He’s power tripping after this morning’s meeting. 

“Good Afternoon Ladies!” He says with an over-animated voice.  “Don’t forget your ‘Monday-Sale-Day’ Badges!  Make sure you wear em, and remember; ‘Sale days are Smile days!’” He holds his fist up and walks out almost climaxing with corporate allegiance.  We all hate him. 


I look at Meg as she spoons out the rest of her yogurt, scraping the toxic bottom of the container.  In a very serious voice I say; “You should fuck Norman Meg, I bet he ends up with a pension.”  She looks at me and we both crack up.  I rip up the personal ad and decide my future can wait until payday.