Sunday, September 7, 2014

My love affair...





“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. 
The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

    When I was a young girl (12 yrs. old) I lived across a town highway and up a treacherous hill and down a main neighborhood road (i.e. cars going 20mph above a restricted speed limit) from a new library.  The summer between 6th and 7th grade I would wake up, have a breakfast of Cheerios and look at the clock, timing the long walk to the great escape that was the library.  If you have ever read the book or seen the movie Matilda…well…that pretty much sums it up.

“She'd become an English major for the purest and dullest of reasons: 
because she loved to read.” 
― Jeffrey Eugenides

     I was not a nerd in the traditional sense…I was more of a closet nerd...I still am.  I was a very isolated child in many ways; geographically we lived far from extended family and personally my upbringing was wrought with a father that was a bit 'overwhelmed' we shall say, and a mother that fell into debilitating illness sporadically.  I had my little brother who truly was the brightest star in the night that was the ordeal of my childhood.  Books were my escape, my life lesson, my teachers, my friends, my hopes, my fears, my warnings, and my dreams.  They still are.


My most beloved of books - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Featuring the highly visceral and resonating art of Gustave Dore
A life changing tale for sure - Thank you Mrs. Kaicher (English Teacher Supreme)


     I gave this point a lot of thought after writing my Labor Day post.  My children mock me about my love affair with libraries, but they do understand (because I have taught them) that there are certain inalienable truths to the human being that you are and the hand that you were dealt.  And as long as the coping skills of that hand do not harm you or others – so be it. 

Seriously go get your ‘weird’ on, whatever that may be.

     I could have been someone that raised earthworms, or a storm chaser, or a fungus collector, instead, I became a lifelong secret mistress of the library.  By the 6th grade I had pretty much learned the Dewey decimal system; it was like a fixed set of stars with which to navigate by.  I could be anywhere and if I needed to look up a certain subject, I knew what aisle to head for.  The card catalog (remember those?) was like a treasure trove for me.  The hushed voices within the walls of the library lent an almost monastic quality to my time there. 

“The reader, the booklover, must meet his own needs without paying too much attention to what his neighbors say those needs should be.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

     I remember being deeply disturbed in the fourth grade when I discovered the story about the burning of the Library of Alexandria in Egypt.  The loss of records and culture stunned me.  I glanced at my class mates in alarm, they remained unaffected.  (Closet Nerd Sign #1.)

     I remember being outraged at the concept of censorship in high school.  ‘The List’ of books that many schools were secretly not allowed to carry fueled a private investigation of my own schools' library to make sure we carried them.  I found many of them had been ‘lost’ and never replaced.  Exasperated I addressed this with the librarian. (Closet Nerd Sign #2.)



“Though I enjoy the occasional eBook from time to time, I will only stop reading books printed on paper when they pry them from my cold, dead, withered hands, and even then, 
they will be hard pressed to take them from me.”
― H.L. Stephens

     Now I am not one to negate the advancement of my species.  And I have downloaded the kindle app on my laptop for school purposes.   But I must say, it pisses me off to no end that kindle books are cheaper than the real thing.  It’s like (for me) the difference between a true friend and a virtual one.  And I struggle with this, yes, struggle (Closet Nerd Sign #3). I understand production costs, delivery costs, fuel costs, and recycling issues etc. etc. – but GOOD GOD PEOPLE – THESE ARE BOOKS!  WHAT ARE WE TO DO IF WE NEED TO JUMP START HUMANITY ONE DAY?? (Closet Nerd Sign #4)

“Crisy you read so voraciously, why don’t you invest in a separate kindle?”
 
“Look at all those books – how many trees had to die?” 

     Hmmm …consider this; how many ideas were launched with the written circulated word? Books in secret? Books passed in hushed tones on back roads? Not bits of 'data' but Books - without an electronic footprint or record?  (True freedom.)  Books without an algorithm tracing my preferences and feeding me info, pitching me goods and future purchases based on my reading?  DO NOT FEED ME, ALGORITHMS, FOR I AM FULL!  (Closet Nerd Sign #5)

     I can read a book by candle light, I can smell the essence of the page.  I smell its ink and that slight acrid mildew when a good read has been wintered over in a lake house, waiting to be rediscovered when the sun of summer returns.  I can take a book in the pool, on a raft and should it get wet I can dry it and read it again.  I can fall asleep as a book gently slides from my hands, across my body like a lover, landing with a soft bump on my carpet.  I can throw a book (chemistry text-very heavy -good for the aggression). I can hold a book, caress a book, gift a book, underline, write in, and add notes to, quotes to, and exclamations to a book.  The list goes on and on.  I can tear a page from a book, embed it in a sealed bottle, drop it into the sea and have it wind up on distant shores, or my own, after 100 years of bobbing about.  Try that with your electronic device.



      I still have my first copy of Gone With The Wind, The Catcher In The Rye, and Dante’s Inferno – all have achieved shrine like status on my shelf.  I have an old Bible I grabbed at a yard sale with ornate gorgeous hand writing documenting a family from the 1800’s, signed by the mother of the daughter that received it upon her death.  Who gives a shit you may ask?  I do.  (Closet Nerd Sign #6)

     Am I old?  Am I being passed up by innovation?  I think not.  I just know what books mean to me, what pages do for me.  I use my computer and iPhone to read blogs, watch vlogs, and browse magazines.  But when it comes down to the staples, the basics, the brass tacks, my moral compass, everything that makes me human, and my own North Star?…Well…It’s a book for me, for sure, every time.  Always and forever.  And that my friends is the greatest love story I've ever known.

“Maybe reading was just a way to make her feel less alone, to keep her company. When you read something you are stopped, the moment is stayed, 
you can sometimes be there more fully than you can in your real life.”
― Helen Humphreys, Coventry

Namaste