Monday, February 16, 2015

Feast of Trust

Another Prose Poetry Assignment...


I enter the barn at dawn.  Ancient light filters in beams through slats in long need of repair.  Bits of dust and hay are alive and unsettled, I breathe them, I am part of them, and they of me.  You regard me with eyes of either side.  You are the color and warmth of the sac-oats I keep by the stove.  Cold wet mornings demand such sustenance.  The larder runs short this winter, the grounds frozen over again and again.  The spring crops will be well fed however we are not, and this is why I have come. 

You bleat.  You trust.  I feed you so why should you not?  You are warm under wool laced with lanolin, I am envious.   You are immune to the gangrenous cold that patiently stretches its fingers up the rocky cliffs from the dark sea.  The wind laments in sinister dreams all night, every night, calling us out.  We cannot sleep, and winter has had its way; our fortitude raped.  My cheeks are raw. I smell you.  Your essence is visceral.  I taste your gamey sweat.  I sense your quickening like the ice that will reign over all tonight; shards of it on the black rocks below.


 You are plump.  Your fat will spit on the fire and we shall sleep tonight despite the banshee sea.