Friday, November 14, 2014

The 6:47

It was 6:47 and I looked at her with compassion.  She needed a friend.  It had been a long, long time since I’d seen that look on her face.  It was a bit bewildered.  She told me she wasn’t quite sure what was going on…only that she felt different.  She wasn’t sure what this particular reckoning was about.

The Tornado.  It seemed over – but fuck, what a mess to be cleaned up.

I tried to calm her down.

I wanted to be a friend, but really; what on earth could I say?  Where could I start?

So I said the only thing I could, the only things that I could think of.

She wasn’t upset, she wasn’t crying, she wasn’t angry – she was…haunted.  Like one that wakes up mid dream in the woods and wonders why it’s cold because she’s still under a down comforter in bed, the night outside the glass.  The most dangerous thing to do is breathe – deeply -and live.

I found words for her.  I spoke soft but steady – like you would to a spooked animal that could pummel you to death, and even that - a soft caring voice - wouldn’t take that haunted look from the wild beasts’ eyes. 

Time.  She needed time. 

She needed calm.  A voice had to get through to her. 

I focused on her eyes even though she looked hollow.

“It won’t always be like this,” I said nodding.

“You are doing the best you can with what you’ve got.  God has a plan for you, a hope, and a future.”
She nodded slightly.

“But you need to keep going, toward that future because you can’t stay where you are.  You know that, I know you do.  You just can’t stay.”  I put my hand on my chest, she seemed to understand, and squinted a bit – for a moment I thought she might well up and tear, but she was stone.

“It won’t always be like this.  Right now will pass, I promise.

Just

Let it pass.”

“You feel totally alone; you always have though, haven’t you?”   The way her head moved passed for  an acquiescence.  “Your kids are good, better than good; you are doing a good job.”  She did tear up with that; I seemed to be getting through. 

“Just keep going, none of this other shit matters – one day it will all be history, every fucked up second of it.”  A tear slid and she bit her upper lip.  She gets angry at herself far too easy when she feels weak She gets confused when it’s quiet like this – when it’s just she and I.  No one, no one ever sees her.  Not like this.  Not haunted like this.  Never like this.

She took in a deep breath and blew out, like there were birthday candles.  She told her kids to do that when they were little – breathe and blow out candles when they would cry, it always seemed to work.
“So what are you going to do?” I asked

“I’m going to keep going.” She answered.

I nodded.

She nodded.


Then I went downstairs to get the Windex, realizing I had missed that mirror when I had cleaned this morning.