Friday, October 17, 2014

The apple or the tree?

"Mom the house was so warm last night...I just couldn't sleep."
"So what did you do?"
"I went out on the patio you made for me...I sat in the Adirondack chair...it was like 2AM.  I felt better in the dark ya know, the night, the air.  I sat for a long time - some of the geese they honk at night.  I went in and fell asleep, I think I just needed that night air ya know?  That cold."

"Yes I know."

That apple didn't fall far from the tree.

At least we did that right.  The kids.  We got that right.  How can I be in a room full of people and still be alone.  Aw shit...I stumbled into loneliness...fueled by a bit of red wine...
I was due to pay the piper - I pay him in installments it seems.

Is it an act I wonder?  Are we half the people we once were?  Do you get that more than once on these voyages?  I feel on the brink of it...sometimes.  Like a glance or a glimpse.

DAMN YOU