Thursday, December 13, 2012

Just a dream

Last night I had a dream…more of a concept really.
It was roughly 3AM I woke up, grabbed my notebook, sat in the steamy tub and wrote this
I saw my hands gripping the wet mossy soaked black rocks.  I saw the mist of my breath, my life force heaving in front of me like apparitions come to visit.  I raced, I lunged, my large thigh muscles aching with the exertion.
The dirt of the earth pushed under my nails as they chipped and ripped, clawing the rocks.  My hair fell forward in my face, obscuring my view.  I dare not look up…I just kept climbing…grabbing toward the mist.  I had to reach its cover; live wet air.  It would conceal me.  My lungs puffed and ached, my body completely relying on itself, my heart pounding with fear at this chase.
The ground dipped and my left foot slipped into a small crevice, I hoisted the leg up and dead air met it.  I reached my hand down and felt a space.




I could still hear them, their metal, their swords, and their fervor.  My moment had come – I rolled my body left and fell about four feet into a pocket of hope.  I curled my arms around my knees still heaving and tried to control my breath.  My body felt gutted by the intake of air as though it would split.  Forcing my breath to slow itself, I closed my eyes.  Slowly I became steady.
I threw my head back and felt my long curls on the sweat of my shoulders, I had to stifle a deep throaty laugh.  The mist had taken me in its fold, the mountain in its soul; both had saved me from my slaughter.
As my eyes became accustomed to the light, I realized this pocket of earth was 10 feet deep with a rise at its innermost part.  Upon this rise was a rough woolen cloak of sorts, folded and dusty with fine dirt.  Of course!  A Sheppards night keep upon a mossy rise!
I would make a guest of myself.  I shook off the cloak and wrapped myself in it and lay down on a bedding of dried stiff mountain grass.  Safe in this hidden womb, I slept.  I gave myself over to the earths’ protection, every muscle released and I became dead-like in my stillness.   As I slowly tumbled into the arms of rest, I heard far off shouts and the muffle of voices; moving closer then away.  I heard the hollow scream of someone falling; then nothing.


When I awoke, a thin strand of light dustily filtered in.  I realized suddenly that I was famished.  The faint sound of moving water had my parched mouth mad with desire.  I cautiously edged up to the small opening of my shelter.  The sun felt warm and the rocks surrounding the opening were faded with dry.  I judged it to be midday.  I allowed my eyes to grow accustomed to the harsh light.  Standing on tip toes, I poked my head out.

The air outside was crisp and refreshing.  The snows had melted a while back and it was that chill before the in-between of Rough-Spring and Early High-Ground Summer.  My hands went first and then I eased my body out and sat on the cool earth.  I sat for a few moments and surveyed steep climbing’s of stone rubble to both sides.  In my haste I had scurried up a mist blind flat and seemingly forbidden side of the mountain.  I turned and lifted my gaze to see what a higher climb would have brought.
I blinked back tears and counted my blessings tenfold.  A few more steps would have ended at a sheer wall of stone.  It was easy to envision losing my grasp and tumbling to my end.  I began to wipe my eyes with determination.  There was a reason my foot had slipped.  A reason this side of the mountain revealed its secret to me.  A reason I was kept safe.  A reason the wool cloak sat folded…dusty…waiting.  It was certainly not to cry, not to give in.  I had been spared.
To my left there was a trickle of snow melt; crisp and clear water that slumbered over winter, now rushing to spring.  I cupped my hands and drank.  I lowered them and drank only with my mouth.  Standing on the side in the sun, I peeled off my clothing and allowed the water to rinse the dirt and grime of my escape from my skin.  I let out a gasp as I dunked my head and washed my hair.  Dirt, tears, fear and sweat were carried away down the mountain.  When I finished I stood naked and gave my clothes a good rinse.
The sun was higher now.  I found a flat dark rock and laid my clothing out to dry.  I loosely wrapped the wool cloak around me, slipped on my leather footings and decided to explore a bit…